The “Peabody Ballroom Experience” is a public humanities collaboration between the George Peabody Library and Baltimore’s ballroom community.
- Film screenings and roundtable discussions
- The Ball
- Workshops and presentations by Hopkins library staff
- Vogue workshops with the Peabody Dance Department
- 15 oral histories with Baltimore’s ballroom community
- A documentary film and printed project catalogue
Hosted by Peabody Library
The ballroom community is invited into the halls of the historic George Peabody Library for a one of a kind ballroom experience. Opened in 1878, Baltimore’s “Cathedral of Books” features an atrium surrounded by five tiers of cast-iron balconies, rising dramatically to a massive skylight 61 feet above the floor. Tonight, we ask ballroom competitors to bring to life a selection of the Library’s collection of over 300,000 books, dating from the Renaissance through the 19th century.
April 13, 2019 at 4pm